Esher District Local History Society

Wolsey's Tower
Home
Future Events
Past Events
Local Photos
Newsletter Extracts
Research Projects
How to Join
Meet the Committee
Society Objectives
Obituaries
Monographs
News Items
Useful Links
   

Claygate Local Photos

 

 

     
Claygate Cobham Oxshott
Hinchley Wood Thames & Long Ditton Molesey
     

 

 

 

 

The life of a much loved Claygate Shop

Post Office, High Street, ClaygateMr W J Martin and staff are shown standing at the door of his premises at 3 and 4 High Street, Claygate on a 1907 postcard.

It was a Post Office and provided many other services to the village. Above the name of the shop appear the words Haircutting & Shaving Saloon and alongside on a vertical board, Printing, Bookbinding and Die Stamping. Also displayed are Teas, Stationer, Newsagent Fancy Repository, Confectioner and Tobacconist as well as a Public Telephone sign. There is an advert in a window for Raphael Tuck Postcards. Mr Martin published many picture postcards over the years of scenes of the village including some of his own property.

In 1946 he sold the business to Richard |George Chandler who continued to run the Post Office and the business. William Jasper Martin died aged 81 years on 1st August 1947 having been the owner of the Post Office for 50 years. Mr. Chandler then ran the business until 14th May 1958 when he decided to sell it on and the family, including his daughter Janet, moved to Red Lane. Mr. Chandler's daughter, Janet McCreedy attended the Post Office in High Street, Claygate on 14th May 2008, exactly 50 years later. She was the last customer of the day, bought some stamps and then the Post Office closed for the final time.

The building from outside still looks much as it did more than a century ago and the current owner, Nitin Patel, who oversaw the loss of the Post Office, still continues as Claygate News Ltd., a business he has been running for 20 years. His son has arranged in the windows a display of enlarged copies of picture postcard views of the property from more than acentury ago. They kindly display an advertisement for the Esher District Local History Society when our regular talks take place nearby at Holy Trinity Church |Hall, Church Road, Claygate.

Looking at the 1907 image there are also notices displayed above the central post box in the wall. The post box is now a few yards away on the corner by the village green in the shape of a pillar box

This article written by the EDLHS appeared in a recent edition of Essential Esher.

 

Claygate Lodge in 1911

This is Claygate Lodge in 1911. The house used to stand in Claremont Road and on the right can be seen Claygate Lodge cottage which was occupied by the head gardener to the Lodge. The cottage remains and is next to the footbridge which crosses the railway line. Arbrook Common can be reached in this way.

The postcard has been posted in Fulham on 17th March 1911 to Weybridge "just a card to wish you all the best of wishes. Will write later, this is Claygate Lodge Love A.H."

Claygate House Claygate An undated mounted photograph with the note on the back, Claygate House, Claygate. Not to be confused with the above Claygate Lodge. It is believed to be the property which stood on the north side of Hare Lane opposite the Firs. A 1936 Kelly's lists the occupant at that time as Sidney William Parkhurst. This image is believed to be earlier.
Claygate House Claygate staff As a consequence of the talk on 22nd January 2011 about Victorian servants this mounted photograph was examined again as on the back is noted, staff at Mr. Bolton's house, Claygate House. It shows a later period in Claygate's history and that "in service" was still a way of life for locals. Enquiries continue to confirm the identity of the persons shown. "Bobby" is believed to be the name of the dog!

Request for quote to Claygate Brickfields

Request reverse to Claygate Brickfields

Postcards were not always picture postcards and were often used for business purposes on plain card.

This card gives us an idea of the industrial nature of Claygate with its brickfields which had for many years been a major part of the activities of the village.

A builder who is working at Walton on Thames writes requesting a quote for Best quality picked stocks, and Flettons on 7th February 1933.

 

Telegraph Lane Applegarth

A view of Telegraph Lane looking in the direction of Telegraph Hill.

Colin Dall identified the house on the left as "Applegarth" which was demolished and a road built to form a cul- de-sac with several houses therein.

The postcard is unused.

Claygate Village

A postcard produced by C.Saunders of The Green, Claygate. Posted from Claygate June 29th 1908 to Miss Pearcy at Sheerness. Tyte's Stores is in the background

"I arrived here safely about six o'clock. Auntie Neville and Harry Bower there at the station. Hope you are all well......... With Love Ethel"

Foley Arms P.H.

This card of the Foley Arms was published by Mr. W. J. Martin of Claygate. One of many cards he produced locally. Posted from Esher on 20th September 1904 to Littlehampton Sussex

"Dear Dad Am down here for the day, if you come to town let me know. Can make arrangements to meet you in the evening if you have nothing to do." Frank

Holy Trinity Church 1905

Another card published by Mr. W. J. Martin of Claygate is of Holy Trinity Church. He had a shop on the High Street in the Old Village.

The card is unused postally with the date 1905 on the back and written to a Miss Clarke living in Walton-on-Thames. The unbroken hedge at the side of the church indicates the year, no War Memorial present.

Top